Chess Club of the Golden Crescent Welcomes You!

Thanks for stopping by the official website of the Chess Club of the Golden Crescent! Feel free to send us an e-mail if you have any questions or comments: goldencrescentchess@live.com We also invite you to leave comments on our postings or at our official club forum (click here to access the forum). And of course, feel free to come by Jason's Deli on Monday nights to get a game or two in with us!

23 March, 2010

A Gucco Piano (Quiet Game) Chess Game‏

I'm in training for the big Victoria Open chess tournament this coming Saturday! My chess compadre Ken Henkelman and I have played about ten games a week for the past several weeks, and I am winning about 1/3 of our games and drawing a few others. Tonight I scored an exciting win in the "Gucco Piano" (the quiet game) opening. I have basically abandoned my gambits with the White pieces against Ken, because I have learned that if you give Ken an extra pawn, even to gain more rapid development, you generally get smashed. So I have been using "normal" openings with White in recent games with Ken - hence the "Gucco Piano".

I gradually build up a substantial positional and material advantage, and the game ends with a beautiful discovered check position. I submit this game for your consideration.

DEVRIES vs HENKELMAN 03-22-2010

WHITE (DeVries) BLACK (Henkelman)


-1- e4 c5
Ken chooses the Scicilian Defense.
-2- Nf3 Nc6
-3- Bc4 Nf6
Ken chooses the "Two Knights Defense." I have played the first 3 moves for the Gucco Piano.
-4- d3 g6
-5- Bg5 Bg7
I ignore Ken's "King's Indian Defense."
-6- c3 0- 0
My pawn move keeps Ken's bishop from dominating the diagonal.
-7- 0 - 0 d6
-8- h3 Bd7
White's 8th move prevents pin of knight against White queen.
-9- QNd2 a6
-10- Re1 Re8
-11- Qc2 Qc7
-12- QRc1 e6
-13- a3 QRd8?
Black Rook would have been better placed on c8.
-14- d4 P x P
-15- P x P Qb6
-16- e5 P x P
-17- P x P Nd4
-18- N x N Q x N
-19- P x N Bh8
I have a minor piece advantage.
-20- Nf3 Qb6
-21- Ne5 Bc8
-22- Ng4 Qd4
-23- Qc3 Qc5
-24- Nh6 check Kf8
Forcing the exchange of queens when I am ahead in material.
-25- Qb4 Q x Q
-26- P x Q Rd4
-27- Ba2! R x P on b4 ?
A pawn sacrifice that wins the game for me.
-28- Rc7 Rd8
Black's 28th move saves him from checkmate, temporarily.
-29- R x P on f7 check Ke8
-30- Re7 check Kf8
-31- R x P on h7 check Ke8
Threatening R x B on h8 checkmate.
-32- f7 check Kd7
-33- B x R Bg7
-34- R x B Rf4
A beautiful discovered check finish.
-35- f8 queen check Resigns

1 comment: